For The Super Online Sewing Match, this week we were given the fabulous Roller Skate Dress + Tunic from Oliver + S. I haven’t made any little human clothing before so this was an exciting undertaking for the week! I love this pattern, it was well written and the garment is darling. In fact, everything I’ve seen by Oliver + S is completely adorable!! I highly recommend checking out their website to see all the beautiful patterns :)
I got the pattern printed full size at the local Kinkos, something I’d never done before. It was super quick and easy to take the digital pattern file there and get it done. That was a relief as I was not looking forward to taping together letter sized pages!
The fabric I used was all from my stash, a light-weight white cotton for the lining, and two patterned cottons that I’ve been holding on to for years! It was the perfect project to use it for. I decided my dress would be a princess dress, but one that was a bit more practical than a full-fledged costume. The fabrics are all comfortable cottons, full washable, and the multi-colored patterns won’t show the evidence of stains from playing outside so much. (the outdoor shots are on a bit of an angle with the top of the dress further back from the camera)
A shot of the dress turned inside out showing the front inside lining.
I split the dress pattern in to a “skirt” and bodice piece in order to have a seam at the dress waist. I then created a color block in the center front so I could add some contrasting fabric with lace at the seams. I felt it needed a bit more fun so I added three little white bows down the middle. Below you can see the neckline and the upper part of the color block.
At the waist, I added in a peplum which has a double layer of fabric and was gathered to give it more structure. It can be fluffed up more or smoothed out to be flatter as the wearer would like. Party Princess vs. Casual Princess! I moved the elastic waist casing so it sat underneath the peplum because I didn’t want the stitching to combat the top of the peplum and it looks a lot cleaner.
As this is a practical princess dress, it also desperately needed pockets! I created in-seam pockets using the white contrasting pattern fabric, making them low enough that they can be reached under the peplum. The first image shows the peplum lifted up on one side and the side seam where the pocket is located. The second image you can see inside the pocket.
The hem was created by double-folding the edge and finishing with a 1/8 inch edgestitch. Again, for this dress I felt that the less bulk, the better. And I wanted it to be a bit more heavy-duty for a practical princess!
I don’t have any little humans to model for me but I hope you enjoy my design regardless! I had so much fun making this and I’m looking forward to finding it a good home. Thank you to Sew Mama Sew, Janome, Oliver + S, and all the sponsors and judges! I am really having such a fabulous time :)